Search This Blog

27.8.10

Cosmetics are More than Skin Deep

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 by: Heidi Fagley, citizen journalist

 ...Our skin is the largest organ of our body. It has the distinction of being the first line of defense for our immune system. And since what we place on our skin is absorbed into our blood stream, doesn't it make sense that what we use topically could be affecting our health?

Cosmetics are big business. Numerous products for men, women, children, and even babies have us spending millions of dollars every year. Yet what exactly are we paying for?

The fact is that less than 20% of the chemicals in products we slather and spray on our bodies have been assessed for safety by the industry's safety panel. Since 1938, the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has banned only eight from the nearly 12,000 ingredients used in cosmetics, while our neighboring European nations have banned over 1,100....

Read Full Article Here.

That's why I love Tropical Traditions!  I just received my order of face cream and am so happy to be using it again!!!!  For the kids...it's Burts Bee's body wash and shampoo, and for my hair..well...I need to find something better than what I have right now.  I've tried a natural shampoo and conditioner before that was supposed to be free of any chemicals...but it made my hair really dry and unmanageable.  I need an extra moisturizing shampoo and conditioner.  Around the house I currently use Theives, by Young Living and I've tried their toothpaste as well and my mouth always feels SO clean after using it, cleaner than with any other toothpaste.   

No comments:

Post a Comment